Our elbows and knees are the parts of our body that looks darker than the rest of our body. One of the reasons for this is because these places produce less oil because they contain fewer oil glands than the rest of the body.
Exposure to sunlight not taking good care of your skin, build up of dead skin cells are also some of the factors that cause this parts of our body to be dark. Most times we also kneel down, rest our elbows all over the place, all this are factors that contribute to dark elbows and knees.
There are a number of ways you can lighten these dark parts of the body. There are creams that can help you lighten these dark parts but home remedies are still the safest options available.
Lighter elbows and knees can be got naturally by the following methods.
- Use lemon juice to clean the dark parts of the body. Soak cotton wool in lemon and use it to rub the dark areas. Leave it on for 5-15 minutes and then gently wash it away with warm water. Do this every other day and you will begin to see this areas becoming lighter.
- Exfoliate the dark areas regularly. Get a good scrub to do this, there are different types of scrubs you can buy for your use. You can also make your own scrub at home to use to exfoliate the dead skins on the dark areas.
To make a salt scrub, you will need half a cup of epsom salt, two tablespoon of olive oil, and one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Mix everything together in a glass jar and keep it refrigerated so it doesn’t get spoilt on time. You can use the scrub twice a week to exfoliate dark parts of the body. After this rub your moisturizing cream on your elbows and knees.
3. Gently warm olive oil in warm water and rub dark areas on your body. It has a lightening effect on the skin.
4. Get a good moisturizing cream for your use and apply after you have a bath. Cocoa butter and shea butter are good moisturizing butters for the skin.
5. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking lots of water daily. Drink between 8- 10 glasses of water daily.