Cholesterol can be good or bad for the body. At its normal level, it is an important fatty substance needed for the normal functioning of our body. If this substance is too high in the blood, it puts one at risk of a heart attack.
It is oil produced by the body but it is also available in the food we eat. High cholesterol can also be hereditary.
Functions of Cholesterol
There are four main functions of Cholesterol in the body, they include:
1. It contributes to the structure of cell wall.
2. It constitutes digestive bile in the intestine.
3. It enables the body to produce Vitamin D
4. It helps the body make hormones.
Signs and Symptons.
High cholesterol level does not have any sign and symptoms. It can only be detected through regular blood test as it can trigger heart attack or stroke.
Doctor’s guidelines state that everyone above the age of 20 years should check their cholesterol level once in every 5 years.
Treatment and Prevention of High Cholesterol
People with high cholesterol level are advised to make 4 changes to their lifestyle even if you are taking medications. The changes should be made in order to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack.
1. Avoid foods that have high fat content such as egg, red meat, butter, cheese, processed food and baked foods, instead go for fruits, vegetables, nuts and a diet rich in fibre.
2. Engage in regular Exercise
3. Stop smoking
4. Maintaining a healthy weight.
Anticholesterol drugs such as Atorvastatin, Fluvastatin, Lovastatin, Pravastatin and Rosuvastatin are available on prescription for the treatment of high cholesterol.
You should test your blood for cholesterol once every five years.
Similar Post FOODS THAT LOWER CHOLESTORAL NATURALLY