Grant resigns as Ghana head coach
Ghana will be looking for a new coach on the road to the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ after it was announced that current manager Avram Grant would not be renewing his current contract. The 62-year-old, who previously managed the likes of Chelsea, Portsmouth, West Ham United, Partizan Belgrade and Israel, took charge of the Black Stars at the beginning of December 2014.
During his tenure, Grant lead Ghana to the 2015 CAF Africa Cup of Nations final but suffered a penalty shoot-out defeat against Côte d’Ivoire in the continental showpiece event, before falling at the semi-finals against eventual winners Cameroon at Gabon 2017.
Ghana currently find themselves third in Group E in the third round of CAF World Cup qualifying after failing to record a victory in their opening two games against Uganda and Egypt.
A statement from The Ghana Football Association said: “The Ghana Football Association and Black Stars Head coach Abraham Grant have agreed that the two parties will mutually part ways after their contract ends on February 28.”
Grant said he met with Ghana FA president Kwesi Nyantakyi and informed him that it was time for him to seek “a new challenge.” He said: “After an extremely amicable meeting with the president of Ghana FA, and following more than two successful years in charge of the national team, I’ve informed Mr Nyantakyi that time is right for me to move on to a new challenge and I thank him for the opportunity.
“I’ve hugely enjoyed my time in Ghana taking over after the disastrous 2014 World Cup campaign and rebuilding the squad to reach the final in the African Cup of Nations for only the second time in 23 years, and also the semi final of this year’s competition.
“I’m proud of the fact that I’m leaving an extremely professional, strong squad of players of a good age, who I’m sure will go on to achieve great success in the future.”
Continue on source: Grant resigns as Ghana head coach